BleachForums  

Go Back   BleachForums > Central Seireitei > Field Reports

Old 03-04-2007, 08:12 PM

Default [2nd] Volume 99: Dreams of the Past, Hopes of the Future

[2nd] Volume 99: Dreams of the Past, Hopes of the Future

A far off dream that’s like a distant memory;
A distant memory that’s like a far off dream.
I want to put the pieces together – yours and mine.

~

Brilliant strokes of crimson and gold painted the canvas of the twilight sky above the Grand City as a band of amethyst encircled the border between the Heavens and the Earth. In the backdrop of it all existed gargantuan stones of alabaster and granite settled amongst the billions of particles of dust and rock that had once composed the whole of the Nibantai’s headquarters. The once-picturesque gardens of roses, lilliacs, irises, and all numbers of exotically gorgeous flowers that had enclosed the perimeter of the building now appeared to either be all destroyed by the transient energy attacks or had been coated by the soot and ash created in the battles, altering their appearance to that of merely sculptures of the real thing. Far beyond the site of ruin, thousands of massive edifices rose above the violet horizon in a display of splendor – save for the occasional breach of the wall of alabaster where other epic battles had occurred.

The site was far from occupied; the number of entities that were around under the fading warmth of day numbered less than a handful. Most had simply retired for the evening, the hard day of fighting having spent much of their energy up, and Yuusuke couldn’t blame them. He was tired as well – exhausted really – from the second siege that he had experienced in his life time. This one, however, had turned out marginally better for him than the first one; this time, he was standing, despite whatever wounds he had incurred from the day’s struggle. Perhaps a part of it was the pride that he now took in who he was, or that was at least what he believed. The simple fact that he had been in so many more battles might have also contributed to his ability to survive in combat.

And yet, despite the overwhelming success of the evening, the young Captain of the Second found himself indescribably saddened. “I’m not sure what it is, Seiya, but something’s wrong. I know I’m angry that I couldn’t do a better job without this…collateral damage…but that’s not it at all.”

The sleek twin weapon did not answer – it never did these days – and Yuusuke felt alone in the dark with his emotions.

Chapter 01: OtherSide

He was fully aware of the other presence from the beginning, but the Captain had no real desire to talk with anyone. Even his zanpakutou…though he had addressed the weapon, he knew it wouldn’t answer his call. It had simply been for his sake that he had spoken aloud. He wasn’t a rude man, though, and when the visitor had drawn closer to him again, Yuusuke found it necessary to speak in detail with the man that was called “Ryoka”.

“I’d offer you a seat, Ryoka-san, but there aren’t any left. My apologies for that.”

The schoolboy shrugged at that; Shinshi hadn’t expected one. “No need to apologize, Mr. Captain of the Second. I helped to destroy this place, after all.”

The taller man nodded thoughtfully at that, recollecting the clash of energies that had occurred just moments before his battle had, on the opposite side of the monolithic building. The blurring form of the boy caught his eye when the Ryoka initiated a flash-step to fully close the distance between the two and Yuusuke found himself taken back by the appearance of the invader.

“You sounded young, of course, but I’d never imagined you’d look so…young and ordinary, Ryoka-san. Then again, I’ve come to learn not to judge people by how old they look. I’ve been told I look too young to be a Captain and…Well, here I am.”

Shinshi chuckled lightly as he in turn observed the brunette, and responded, “You’re not that young, you know. Sure, you’re not much older than most’ve the clowns I’ve run in to here, but there’s always something different about you Captains. It’s in the eyes and the way you carry yourselves…an oldness that comes with experience. Or at least, that’s what I noticed in the Chibi-Taichou.”

Chibi-taicho…Ah, he must mean Yukiko. Thought that’s who he was battling.

Beginning to walk slowly, Yuusuke signaled for the charcoal-haired man to follow, and smiled lightly when he did so. “So you’ve met our Captain of the Fifth, huh? Yeah, she’s a feisty one. So is Diega,” Shinshi’s eyes seemed to flash at that, “and Sayuri. Mai’s pretty feisty too, but she’s not a Captain. Well, not yet anyway. I’m convinced that it’s a requirement for female Captains: ‘Warning: Must be cranky, ill-tempered, and willing to take no **** from nobody.’ They’re pretty scary if you get on the wrong side of them.”

Both men laughed after a moment of looking at each other, loud gasps of air coming between bouts of chuckles. “Yeah, she was pretty feisty. Actually,” Shinshi recalled Namiko, “I think it’s a requirement for any lady who gets strong. Maybe a side-effect of their Reiryoku on them or something. Must interfere with their…well, you know.”

The robust bouts continued for a few moments more as the two men enjoyed the company of each other before things quieted down for a moment. And it was then that it hit Yuusuke. This was one of the people whom, days before, he would’ve been intent on killing. And yet, here they were, walking in the moonlight. “So,” he began awkwardly, “Since you’re still in one piece and not trying to kill me, I guess this means you’re on our side now, huh?”

“Our side, is it?” questioned the slick boy, “I guess it depends on what you mean by ‘our side’ there, Yuusuke-kun. The only ‘side’ I belong to is the side of the innocent souls. If that’s the side you’re on, then I guess I’m your ally. If not…well, I don’t think it’d matter right now since we’re both drained.”

The answer should’ve come easily enough to him. It should’ve just poured out of his mouth with a simple “yes”. But it didn’t. It was then that Yuusuke realized something. As much as he wanted to say “yes”, he wasn’t sure that was the truth at all anymore.

[1,055]
Seiya Kanhouden - ~72,356~
Seiya Kanhouden Akatsukiyami - ~120,594~ (8 Turns /// *60%*)
Zanjutsu – 11,744
Hakuda – 3,442
Hohou –16,724
Kidou – 28,387
*See Profile*
Enishi – 59,367
[/SPOILER]

"One cannot predict Kidou. Avoiding it is even more impossible." ~ Kuchiki Byakuya
Old 03-05-2007, 12:45 AM

People change over time. It’s a fundamental truth behind all of human existence, I suppose. I just never realized that I would be the one to change. No, that’s not really it either.

I guess I never thought that this would be the way change would affect me. It’s hard to forget the past, or it’s supposed to be, anyway. Even now, I can easily recollect the names and faces of the people dearest to me. The sound of each of their voices, the unique presence each of them had about them was also there. The complete calm brought about by Domon and Aoi, the uncertainty painted by the presence of Reiko and Rei-chan, the childish innocence brought by Ginto, the terror of being caught by Yuki, and the humor of Kazuma. They’re all there, in the past.

And the emotions. I can still remember the emotions brought about by the events of my past. Whether it’s the simple joy of having people that I relied upon or the anger stirred up by the betrayal, it’s all there, in my past.

And maybe that’s the problem.

Chapter 02: His Story

I was born on Earth. Or at least, that’s what I remember. My family was a happy sort, even though they were incredibly poor. We lived in one of those neighborhoods that was pretty ******, even by most people’s standards. I wasn’t really popular in school – my clothing were always hand-me-downs with huge holes and people knew that I was relatively poor. Most of my time was spent hanging around an older lady who ran a convenience store. She couldn’t afford to pay anyone to help out around the place, and I didn’t really care about money.

Her smell was always a little odd. I can’t really describe in other words than a blend of lilacs, roses, and the smell of mothballs. She looked old and frail, the stereotype of an old woman with aging bones and a multitude of wrinkles. But she was always so…so strong. And that’s what I liked about her, I guess. She was more alive and more vibrant than anyone I’d ever met.

That old lady is the most vivid memory I have of my life on earth. My family…I can’t really tell you much about them. They were probably good people, and I know I certainly cared about them, but that’s about it. I never really thought about the future.

And then I died. Even to this day, I’m not sure what happened. I assume I was murdered by a gang or such, but it doesn’t really matter in the end. I know I accepted death rather quickly, all things considering…but then again, I was forced to more than anything. I can remember being dropped in one of the richer districts in Rukongai and being shunned. I’m not sure I did anything wrong; maybe they were simply stuck up snobs. Whatever the problem was, most of my first few years in Rukongai were pretty sucky. I was hobo above all. Or maybe a begger is a better term. Most of my time there was spent drifting between bouts of hunger.

And then I met them.

See, they rescued me from that existence. Aoi, Rei-chan, Kazuma, and Ginto. Oh, and Jouji too. Yeah, it’s sorta cliché sounding, but that’s what happened. They really were angels to me…even now, after all that’s happened, I still can’t bring myself to hate them. It’s kinda sad, really.

Anyway, they took me in and taught me all sorts of things. How to fight, how to use Reiryoku, how to survive, where I was and what the afterlife was like. It was really usefully for my life. In all the years we were together, the most important thing they taught me was the existence of Shinigami.

I could always tell, of course, that they didn’t have any love for the Gotei and their Shinigami. They tried to hide the tones of resentment and anger, but it didn’t work. Of course, when it came down to it, I was all too happy to ignore that. I remember being clearly told about the sort of people Gotei members were. People who were more concerned with their interests than with the people they were sworn to protect. People who forgot where they came from and forgot their duty to those places. I can remember thinking that I would never be that sort of person.

Time crawled on, and as it often is, my happy days were brought to screeching halt by a Hollow attack on my family. That’s what I thought at the time, anyway. I’d later discover that it was merely a rouse to test my convictions, one that I had apparently failed. The point is that at that time, I was truthfully angry. I was angry at the world, angry at myself, angry at them, angry at the Hollows. And it was that anger that drove me to this place, in a determination to become someone who could stop these sort of tragedies from happening again. And who would never become the type that my siblings hated.

Years past and I gained entrance into the Academy. I met a few friends there that I miss to this day. Reiko, Yuki, and Domon were three amazing young warriors who helped me through my time there, even though I never really did tell them how much I appreciated it. Even ten years later, I still couldn’t bring myself to talk to others about where I’d come from…I told myself that I was moving on, but it was so much more like I was hiding, just as I have been recently.

It came as shock a few days after I’d graduated that they were still alive…but really, I suppose I was more angry than shocked. They’d been alive all that time and had never bothered to contact me. I knew that it meant I’d never really moved on – I’m still human, after all – but even if I had, I think I still might’ve been angry. Especially when they almost sliced off my right arm because I was a “traitor”. Yeah, my desire to become stronger had made me into a traitor in their eyes.

I hated them for it and knew that they would come back to finish things up when I was stronger. They were those sort of people – the kind that justifies killing a man on equal terms and no less. I wanted to grow stronger so fast that they wouldn’t be able to touch me. The truth was that I simply wanted to be able to stop them without being forced to kill them.

Still, these dreams became repressed as I settled into the Gotei and met more people within it. At first, it was Junichi, a Vice-Captain at the time, and Diaz, another new member of the Gotei. They’re both gone, now. And yeah, I had some great times with them, learning how to function in the Gotei. Heck, Diaz was probably the best friend I had – though my jealousy stopped that for a period – and we even learned to release our Shi Kai at the same time.

Yeah, things were going pretty good until around the time I met Sayuri. I’d become much stronger by then, and we had a great time together, my new lil’ sister and me. It was a few days later when I finally met Ginto again during a picnic. Even him, who had widely been acknowledged as the weakest of the four, managed to soundly whoop me in a short time span. And then was my first real encounter with death again. Yeah, he killed Reiko then as punishment…I couldn’t do much of anything to stop him, though, once he’d broken a few bones and such.

I was angry…and yet I was just about dead. Yeah, if hadn’t been for Kanie and Sayuri, I would’ve died that day. After that, things were sort of hazy for a while. I had this dark side that would pop up and try to kill people I cared for – almost killed Sayuri – until I became aware of it again. I took it pretty hard and became dangerously obsessed with getting stronger as a result.

It was then that I met some more lovable nugget-heads in the Gotei when I was finally assigned to the Second Division as its third seat. Rei, my Captain and still good friend, taught me a skill of great use. I met Shizuka, Rei’s Vice Captain and a really ace lady, as well as Yume, a younger girl who all of us really regarded as a younger sibling. And Kayla, who’d later become my Vice-Captain. Know where they’re all at? Neither do I. Shizuka and Kayla left the Gotei around the same time as Rei, and Yume’s been on earth since before that.

And then I’d also meet Ichigawa – also no longer with us – in the short time before I’d earned Ban Kai. It certainly wasn’t easy, especially given that Hiraishin was trying to strengthen my weak points. I earned that release just in time, though, and it came in handy during the first Siege of the Gotei. That was the first time I’d killed a real Arrancar – Papas Fritas, was his name – and it was the first time I’d promptly been beaten by a real Arrancar as well. Despite Ban Kai, Anthracite still managed to whoop me though it’s highly due to my own recklessness and stupidity.

I met more people after that…but really, it was after I’d healed that things started to look up for me. Yeah, a few months later marked my promotion as a Captain. And I’ve been one for nearly a year. Even when I was first promoted, I still had that vision in my mind that I would keep my priorities strait.

So what the hell happened?

When was the last time I took a walk in the Rukongai or helped some poor kid out or even really cared about those people? When was the last time I did anything that benefited those innocent souls, huh? I’m not sure I can really remember what happened or why it happened…but somewhere between being a Captain and being a human, I left those people behind. Something I never wanted to do.

And maybe that’s why I’ve got this emerging feeling. Something is rising up, something I can’t describe but know oh so well. It’s a desire. A desire to do something I should’ve done a long time ago. They don’t need me here. There’s plenty of people with the strength that’s required to become a Captain. The people I care about the most and those I should care about more are out there. And that’s exactly where I should be.

~

“Maybe I haven’t been on their side before…but I am now. See ya around, Ryoka-kun.”

[1,817]
Zanjutsu – 11,744
Hakuda – 3,442
Hohou –16,724
Kidou – 28,387
*See Profile*
Enishi – 59,367
[/SPOILER]

"One cannot predict Kidou. Avoiding it is even more impossible." ~ Kuchiki Byakuya
Old 03-09-2007, 06:54 PM

“Oh? And where are you off to?”

Despite the raising excitability within, Yuusuke managed to contain any hints that something might be up. His smile was still wild and fre and his manner was still calm and composed, indicative of the seasoned leadership that resided within. “Nowhere special. I’ve done some thinking and there are people I need to speak with.”

The Ryoka was abnormally skilled at discerning the hidden emotions of people. His eyes may not have been burning in passionate ardor, but his body was slightly trembling with spastic excitability. The story had been playing on his face all along; first confusion, then recollection, then shock, and finally resolve. A four part sonnet of the story of human change and emotional upheaval, there was no doubt in the mind of what had just occurred within the boy. So what Zeitgeist had said about the Captain of the Second was right. “Good luck with your travels, Yuusuke-san.”

“Thanks…Sorry, I don’t think I caught your name.”

“Shinshi. I’m Hiyowa Shinshi.”

“Alright. Thanks for that, Shinshi.”

Chapter 03 – Heaven’s Not Enough

“Captain… What is it you called us in for?”

Several hundred feet away from the earlier site, not much had changed in appearance. No longer, however, was the sky painted in brilliant reds and oranges; rather, a thousand pricks of brilliant light shone through a vast navy blanket over the sky. Night had fallen on the Seireitei and within the ruins of the Second Division sat a new trio, three members of Yuusuke’s administration.

“I’m surprised you haven’t figured it out, Monta. I’m leaving the Gotei tonight..”

Their reaction was odd. None of them really seemed to be at all surprised; rather, there was a look of acceptance on each of their faces accompanied by a knowing nod. Yuusuke was slightly curious as to this; most would’ve been somewhat surprised by the news or at least angered. Even he…well, there was no use dwelling over that.

As if reading his mind, Ren responded gently, “It’s not really a surprise that you want to leave, Yuusuke-taichou. You aren’t the sort to sit around idly while things go on around you. And your greatest friends have almost all left for Rukongai or are dead. We knew that it was only a matter of time before you decided to leave for the freedom of Rukongai.”

There was an unspoken sentiment between the three of them, one which noticeable through the locking of eyes for only a moment. And this isn’t the sort of person you are…this isn’t where your past or future lay.

Taiken nodded and smiled gratefully at the trio, murmuring, “Thank you all for understanding that. I know that others will take this as a sign of betrayal, Monta, Ren, Kiyo. I can understand why they’ll hate me for it…but I’m not a traitor. I’d stay if I thought talking would change their opinions of me, but I know better. I’ll never be able to depart if I tell them in person…so I’ll write them all notes and leave in the dead of the night tonight.”

“Well Taichou-dono, I guess you want us to deliver these notes, huh?” inquired Kiyo with a lopsided grin on his face.

A nod. “That’s right. I want you all to deliver them when the sun begins to creep up over the horizon. That should give me enough time to make it difficult to track me down.”

All three nodded and held their palms out expectantly; Yuusuke grinned. “I haven’t written them just yet. There’s one other thing though…turn around and cover your ears…”

Despite the curiousity of why, they followed the instructions promptly. Electrical currents soared within the Death God as he extended his hand towards a group of file cabinets. “Hadou no Rokujuusan, Raikouhou…”

The whispered incantation was accompanied with the sound of a minor explosion which prompted the trio to turn around. “Err…what was-“

“Looks like our files on Rogues and Second Division Administration personal was destroyed in the fighting…Oops…”

All three grinned and nodded, “Right. Destroyed in the fighting.”

“Alright…come back to this place in a few hours…there’ll be a group of scrolls in that,” he gestured at a mostly undisturbed desk, “waiting to be delivered to various high-profile members of the Gotei. Make sure it happens.”

With a nod, the trio disappeared into the night; several moments later, the Captain took a seat and began to write.

Quote:
Originally Posted by To Amagawa Sougen-soutaichou
Soutaichou,

It’s been a while since we last spoke. Must’ve been at the last Captain’s meeting, I suppose. Since then, things have managed to play it more or less favorably. The Second Division has been almost completely obliterated in the fighting, sadly.

I suppose I’ll get right to the point. I’ve decided to hand in my resignation as a Captain. Recent events have convinced me that the position of Captain would be better filled by another man or woman. There is much strength within Seireitei that can take up my mantle; there is, however, less of that in Rukongai. My desires are to do what is best for those souls…and my sense tells me that sitting idly within the confines of this great hall is not what is best for them. I have no desire to oppose you or your Captains; rather, I shall remain on standby should you need me.

Taiken Yuusuke.

Quote:
Originally Posted by To Chikako Sayuri-taichou
It’s been too long Sayuri.

I remember the days when we would often run into each other during our daily duties. Those days have come and gone and it has been ages since we last sat down and talked; I’m afraid it shall be even longer now.

I’m leaving the Gotei, Sayuri. Perhaps it will anger you to know this, but it’s best for me to tell you my reasons now. There’s little left for me here; most of my closest comrades are gone in one form or another. When the Espada invaded recently…they must’ve marched through Rukongai to get here. I’m done sitting around and watching things happen from the inside of these walls. Perhaps this makes me traitor; my hope is that you don’t believe so. Regardless, Sayuri, stay strong; your talent for healing is amazing and you run a truly important division. Keep it up and become a support upon which the Gotei depends. Take care of yourself and Katsu.

Taiken Yuusuke

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kuragari Seisatsu-taichou
Of all the people I’m writing to, you’re one of the unknowns, Seisatsu.

I can’t honestly say how well you’ll take this news, but by the time you read this, I will no longer be a Captain. I’ve made an ultimate choice to serve as a Balancer and a Protector in a different way. Not that it really matters; we both know that there are others with strength to spare for the Gotei. You’re one of the most experienced warriors I know. Use it.

Taiken Yuusuke

Quote:
Originally Posted by Murray Yukiko-taichou
You know Yukiko, I just met up with that young Ryoka you fought.

He seems a little rough, but he’s a good kid as it is. The real reason I’m writing? I’m leaving. Time for this Captain to hit the road, chibi-taichou. I hope you’re one of the people who’s a bit more accepting of this, but I’ve got my reasons. My ultimate goal is to be a protector…it’s a little difficult, though, being constantly cooped up within this building. Take care and train a new generation of Kidoushuu members.

Taiken Yuusuke

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hiana Maisaku-fukutaichou
I’m not sure I’m really addressing this letter right, Mai. It’s wholly possible that you’ve been promoted.

Anyway, a while ago I left the Kidoushuu to pursue something else…it seems like that something else lies outside of these walls. Ultimately, when you take away all the fancy talk that means that I’ve departed into being rogue. Yeah, I know. You’ll probably throw something at me next time you see me. I feel somewhat obligated to let you know this…my reasons deal very much with my desire to do what’s best for Rukongai. Take care and train up.

Taiken Yuusuke

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shiroi-fukutaichou
I know you fairly well Shiroi; well enough to know that the moment you hear I’ve left, you’ll have your division barking up my ***.

I have no desire to fight you; I have no ill-will towards the Gotei. I left because it’s the path I need to follow. Trying to bring me back will bring nothing good. I may not want to fight you, Shiroi, but I will defend myself. And trust me, if I need to defend myself, things will not bode well for you. Become a good and understand Captain.

Taiken Yuusuke

Within an hour, there was nothing left but a Haori in his place.

[1,451]
Zanjutsu – 11,744
Hakuda – 3,442
Hohou –16,724
Kidou – 28,387
*See Profile*
Enishi – 59,367
[/SPOILER]