BleachForums  

Go Back   BleachForums > Soul Society (Free-Topic Section) > Downtown Seireitei (Social)

Old 11-09-2010, 07:03 AM
Administrator

Send a message via ICQ to OffbeatAdam Send a message via AIM to OffbeatAdam Send a message via MSN to OffbeatAdam
Cool Bleachforums IRC Channel - Come chat with us!

Edit: I moved this thread to the social section as it seemed a bit more appropriate.

That's right - Bleachforums has an IRC server! We've already got some folks actively logging onto #bleachforums, and it would be awesome if we could get some others to join in the fun as well!

So, without further or do, here is the run down for how to get on IRC.

** For those who already know what IRC is and how to use it, the information for connecting is as follows:

Server: irc.bleachforums.com
Port: 6667 (if you want, you can connect using SSL - 6697. Advanced users only!)
Channel: #bleachforums
Nickserv: Services are enabled, please feel free to register your nicks.

What is IRC?

IRC, or Internet Relay Chat, is one of the oldest protocols surviving on the internet today. In the past, long before such services as AIM, MSN and Yahoo IM, IRC provided the only real-time method for users to interact with each other, instead of sending/receiving email and posting on the BBS's.

In addition, IRC was accessible via the same methods as the BBS were. It was a very light weight application that required very little to setup server-side, and allowed for a great deal of collaboration and community interaction. Shortly after introduction, large server clusters started to spring up with hundreds of active users, eventually growing well into the thousands.

What does this give us?

Right now, we have many users that are on the boards and do not get to participate in frequent chat with other users. These users could potentially be more active, if they were able to be a bit more engaged.

There are also many people that participate in RPG chats within AIM chatrooms on a frequent basis.

In addition, I'm sure there are other AIM chatrooms that are out there, collecting our users together.

Unfortunately, if you are not included on the buddy list, or are not part of some of the RPG chats, these methods are very isolating and little can be done to bring in new blood or engage more, social folk. In addition, there is no easy way for new users to easily identify these means of communication. To add to this, AIM does not have many methods for truly managing a chatroom. While you do have minor ability to remove abusive or inappropriate folk, it isn't easy to manage the situations and overall does not allow for complete control over moderation.

IRC provides a visible channel list, as well as provides an easily accessible who's online list. RPGs can open up their own channels. People can be introduced and welcomed instantly, and can begin participating in the community together as a whole. Friends can join in and meet people, discussions can be had about posts in real time, as well as manga.

IRC also provides a heavily capable channel moderator capability that gives the channel admin (OPs) the ability to moderate and control the flow of a channel entirely. While in a general chat this is only useful for controlling abusive or inappropriate people, for RPG chat this can be heavily useful as it can help to govern who is even participating, and keep the RPG chat exactly the way it should be.

Great, so then, how do we do this?

Simple! There are many ways to get on IRC and join in the chat!

Browser based access
First, I have created a 'mibbit' widget. Mibbit is a browser-based free IRC client that allows instant access to IRC. The widget I created grants direct access straight to the bleachforums channel.

Click Here for The Bleachforums IRC Server

Client based access (recommended)
If you would prefer to use an IRC client, which will give you full capabilities as well as many other useful things, then there are a few you can choose from depending on your OS.

For windows, the standard client to use is mIRCx. You can download it from http://www.mirc.com/get.html.

For Mac, I personally recommend macIrssi. You can download it from http://www.sysctl.co.uk/#macirssi

When you start up these applications, they'll present you with some settings screens. Just enter in your desired information, and hit ok.

At the prompt that you meet, you'll need to join a server. To do so, enter the following:

/server irc.bleachforums.com

Once you've done this, you'll have been connected.

To then join the channel, enter:

/join #bleachforums

You'll see everyone that is currently in the channel, and you can begin talking!

Getting Help

Since this is a very new feature and is something of an advanced topic on the internet for many, I completely understand if you are skeptical or do not know how to begin or what to do!

Please, feel free to ask me questions on this post.

Or, if you'd like to talk to me on IRC, there is good news! My username is online 24/7/365. You can ALWAYS leave me a message there. My nickname is OffbeatAdam. I'm almost always on (when I'm awake or at a computer) and I can always see when someone has messaged me.

If you do not know how to message, do so using this command:

/msg OffbeatAdam Hey Adam, I need some help with something.

Feel free to message me about anything, I'm more than happy to help. Questions, Suggestions, somethings wrong with the site - anything!

Advanced Subjects

Feel free to ask for any advice or help on these topics.

* Registering your nick

You should register your nickname so that you do not lose it. To do so:

/msg nickserv register <chooseapassword> <giveyouremail>

You will receive an email with a validation code.

Once you've done this, every time you connect to the server with that nickname you'll be asked to identify yourself. To do this, type:

/msg nickserv identify <enteryourpasswordhere>

This protects your name from being taken by others, and makes it specifically your own.

* Commands to Remember

/server <server hostname or ip>- Connect to server <servername>
/join #<channel name> - Join <channelname>
/nick <nickname> - Change your nickname to <nickname>
/msg <nickname> <txt> - Send a private message to <nickname>
/away <away txt> - Set an away message (this will be sent to anyone who messages you).

** Moderators: I will give appropriate channel levels to those who need it, however in order to do so you must have your nicks registered. Please do this whenever you get a chance. My username is online 100% of the time (I'm connected directly to the server locally), leave me a private message when you've done it and I'll add your username to the auto op or halfop list.
Old 11-09-2010, 04:43 PM

Wow, gotta download stuff? Older than Aim, Msn and all that? I tried to look up youtube vids of it and ???. Idk, is this some kind of old dinosaur chat? As it was stated when it was made dinosaur being old and outdated. Anyway, Xat seems better imo as you can use that without having to download anything, it's free and all that good stuff. Also, it's quick and easy to use. There's no need for a long page of text explaining it. Also, from what I've seen xats can be installed into forums. Well, whatever their chat thing is anyway. (Not sure on how to properly explain that, they just look the same so I call them xats)

Once again, this is all just my opinion and I could be wrong.
Old 11-09-2010, 08:39 PM
Administrator

Send a message via ICQ to OffbeatAdam Send a message via AIM to OffbeatAdam Send a message via MSN to OffbeatAdam

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sajin Komamura View Post
Wow, gotta download stuff? Older than Aim, Msn and all that? I tried to look up youtube vids of it and ???. Idk, is this some kind of old dinosaur chat? As it was stated when it was made dinosaur being old and outdated. Anyway, Xat seems better imo as you can use that without having to download anything, it's free and all that good stuff. Also, it's quick and easy to use. There's no need for a long page of text explaining it. Also, from what I've seen xats can be installed into forums. Well, whatever their chat thing is anyway. (Not sure on how to properly explain that, they just look the same so I call them xats)

Once again, this is all just my opinion and I could be wrong.
IRC is old but its still actually one of the most popular chat mediums known. The reason for this is that it allows moderation, much like the forums do. Xat is a completely unmoderated system that just provides you a socially available chat. IRC allows for control, where the Mod's can keep things from getting out of hand, or in the case of certain things - ie, a RPG chat, keep things on topic and overall keep sanity. In addition, IRC itself provides a safe alternative to just talking on the forum. Xat is like many of the other social networking sites, in that from a safety perspective they are riddled with the risk of spyware/adware/viruses, simply from the advertisements and people that they allow onto the site. As part of running the community, one of our objectives as administrators and mods is to protect you from spam and harmful links, and I would be going against that directly by putting the site at risk by using a 100% public unmoderated site that has little regard for the content that is placed on it by its users. I'm not saying that Xat is bad, in fact I'm happy to see a live-chat social networking idea starting to come to fruition - however, simply by visiting the site I've already caught a few malicious scripts attempting to run. I can't condone something that is trying to harm yours, or my, systems.

Regardless, IRC is scalable and modular. Where Xat might be able to be "added" to the forums, I can have IRC accessible to everything and everyone. For the truly connected people, you can get onto IRC from nearly any internet activated device, without any issues of performance or memory. On to of that, and understand - I have great aspirations for this community and bring it back to its former glory (and far and beyond) - IRC is a highly scalable service. The server that the IRC service is running off of can support 50-60,000 concurrent users at the moment.

While it may be "old", you should also know that IRC is what powers such things as battle.net chat, WoW's online chat, most of the COD chat services, a large number of the xbox live chat services - in fact, nearly every massive online chat service is powered by this "OLD" technology.

Ultimately, my goal is simple. To provide additional ways for the community to communicate. Given, downloading software is a bit of a burden for some. The nice thing is, that there are alternatives to it. However, much like exert control over the forum to maintain order and keep out spammers and generally bad people, the same needs to be true of other services - in order to keep the community safe and pleasant for all around.

There is a problem that I see existing on the forums, where some people log onto AIM or Xat or MSN or whichever, and create their own chatrooms for users that they constantly interact with. This is a characteristically flawed method for extended interaction in that it does not provide an easy way for ALL users to interact in the same fashion, together, under the same umbrella. It is also unfriendly to users who do not have AIM or MSN, or are not necessarily friends with the individuals that are starting these inherently private chatrooms. To be honest, this alienates some users from being able to fully participate in all forum community functions, and eventually leads to less user retention over time. If all we are is "just a forum" there are plenty of other "just bleach forums" out there, which may cater more to those folk instead of others. I'm trying to bring all of those people together, and to make the entire community that does want to spend time chatting in real time, available to all people, available to all users, easily accessible for new users, and maintainable for the community for years to come.
Old 11-09-2010, 10:12 PM

I see. Well, after reading that I see I can't get around that reasoning. Glad to see that you were able to provide proper reasons so I wouldn't question it and would understand :P

Except for when you said it had malicious stuff trying to access, I don't recall having any problems related to that. I go to xat quite frequently, I guess I'm just not good at detecting it?

Xat does have problems dealing with trolls though, and not a good method of getting rid of them. As I've experienced when chatting in xat.
Old 01-14-2011, 07:15 PM
Voodoo Gnomes

Send a message via AIM to Genesis. Send a message via MSN to Genesis.

Bump to remind people that this is still here! It's never really taken off, but y'all should give it a try.

There's a link in the nav bar that says "Bleach Forums Chat" on the DarkVision Skin. For those of you who don't use that skin, but are interested in the IRC, here's the link:
BF IRC Chat!

Just type in a name for yourself and click the button!

Old 11-08-2021, 04:42 PM

Send a message via ICQ to JessicaEvibe Send a message via AIM to JessicaEvibe Send a message via Yahoo to JessicaEvibe
Default -

It should be mentioned that by "unofficial," it means that the chat room, its participants, and its content/discussions are in no way affiliated with the Sick Puppies or Sick Puppies World Crew SPWC.
Old 06-11-2022, 03:38 AM

Default okbet

hey try to check this new okbet site
Old 07-26-2022, 02:37 AM

play and earn CLICK HERE for more info