BleachForums  

Go Back   BleachForums > Quincy > The Morning Room

Old 08-10-2010, 07:06 AM

Send a message via AIM to Kishyotai Send a message via Yahoo to Kishyotai
Default The Multi-Purpose Quincy Thread

Quincy Status: OPEN
Yeh boi. Dem Quincies be bak (sewn).

Quincy Basics
Quincies are humans with the nifty ability of gathering spiritrons and vaporizing stuff. See the Racial sheet for the mechanics of annihilating anything that makes you even a little annoyed.

Quincies are now a rarity, with the Gotei finally being efficient at something and all but wiping them out. Under the command of Katsuji Ishin, Saika Rakushun and Leon Valiente Simeon, elite shinigami attacked all Quincy families in an event known by various names that all imply ‘genocide’ and ‘night’. In the span of six hours, the Gotei all but eradicated the Quincy forever. Casualties are impossible to estimate.

Because the Main Lines of all the Quincy families were the Gotei’s first target, they are all eradicated without exception. With their death, the majority of Quincy arts were lost forever. Thus, surviving Quincies are members of branch families that may have been taught the fundamentals of their family’s arts but never fully instructed; survivors are alive because they escaped detection from the Gotei by not knowing these arts.

As a result, Quincies loathe everyone except Advent Humans. Loathe. Shinigami wiped them out and Hollows are abominations. Vizards are like a hate-filled cocktail of everything Quincies want to destroy in the world, and similarly with Arrancar. While Quincies even distrust each other, blaming various families for their support or denial of the Extinction Level Event vote, they know that only by sticking together will they survive. Cohesion is only by necessity at this point, unless families were obstinate allies of each other before the genocide was undertaken. But every Quincy recognizes that now is an immense opportunity to gain control over their race.

RPing a Quincy
RPing a Quincy is different from any other race. Quincies are all related by blood and only trust their family members so our plots are inextricably tied. Also, Quincies have to hide their powers except under exceptional circumstances. This means that it is a tricky business to be a Quincy.

Practically, this means that every Quincy should be reading every other Quincy’s writing from the moment they join up, and should ask about other important things their characters should know about. And then should mention things they heard about in their own writing. Not everything, mind you, but the rumor wheel turns pretty quickly. Collaborating with other races that aren’t AHs will be hard, but Quincy PCs will all live in the same area and thus will be with other Quincies almost all the time. Collabs with Advent Humans should be fine unless plot steers us away.

Quincy characters are all from branch families, are all untrained at first and are all scared for their lives. That’s why your character is alive, and that’s why they’re here - PCs come to Tokyo because they hear that Eve is strong enough to keep them safe while they learn how to use their powers. Your character crawled out of a very large rock in order to find safety, remember that. That means that you’ll know no techniques and will have no skills at first, no matter how strong you are. Learning techniques and become a true Quincy will be a long-term process that will need to be written.

Most importantly: everything you do as a Quincy may have IG consequences based on if I think it’ll affect the rest of us. This is not an announcement of tyranny, but if you are running around killing Hollows every week then the Gotei will notice and you’ll have to write a collab about fending off an assassination squad. Or someone else will, because you alerted the Gotei to Quincy activity. If everyone lays low for a while then the Gotei will lose their trail. This is also a good thing, though. Because Quincies are new and the race as a whole is rebuilding, I have tons of plot missions lined up that depend on what you guys do. What you say, how you act and what happens with other factions will dictate a lot of our Quincyplot stuff. There are awesome opportunities to take our plot wherever the RPers push it (even without knowing). A few PMs are planned and waiting for you guys to do the one thing necessary to start them. These are tangible things you will experience, like how big our family is, when new bloodline techs are added, if other family slots open up, etc…

NPCs for Quincies will be closed indefinitely. Opening them up will be done when we figure out a good way to let it happen.

General Mechanics
There are two facts you need to know about Quincies: they are human, and; they are all about blowing stuff up. All about it.

You are a human. Not an Advent Human. Physically you are a regular human. If you get stabbed you are gonna bleed profusely. You are going to get tired if you exert yourself physically without the use of your abilities. Quincies are the most fragile, brittle spiritually aware beings and you must remember that. Always. Being Ichigo and fighting with blood pouring out your chest will get you a 0 and a reprimand. Even Ishida pulls stuff that is ridiculous.

That second part? Quincies are entirely focused on blowing stuff up. Conceptual abilities are not their thing. 99% of their techniques have two things in common: channeled spiritrons and big explosions. Thus there is very limited flexibility with fighting styles. They have two less feat slots then an equivalent shinigami and their weapons only gain an attribute at the highest level. Not an ability, but an offensive attribute.

If you’re a nerd you’ll know what I mean when I say “Quinicies are DPS, but it’s a matter of how you do it”. If you’re not a nerd: they’re all offense, all the time. The trick to being a Quincy is finding that sweet spot where they can dish out huge amounts of damage while not getting hit by attacks that will OHKO them. So instead of shinigami builds, where you can decide to be defensive or stealthy or magical or even Most Magical, it’s just a matter of how you’re going to annihilate what stands in your way. Gintou or bow, whether you’ll just endlessly fire arrows or wait for just the right moment, what Bloodline techs, etc…

Keep this in mind. A Quincy with too many conceptual abilities may be nerfed.

When writing techniques and feats for a Quincy, know two things: the Kyuuzu stat is how skillful you are with a bow and Chakudan is the ‘boom’ factor. Skill techniques will use Kyuuzu, and power techniques will use Chakudan. 99% of your stuff will use a cost based on Shuuhaku, either modifying the cost per arrow or using up a % of your Shuuhaku.

Examples:

Johnny Bowland is able to fire arrows that can leave rainbow arcs behind them, which requires a per-arrow Shuuhaku cost increase of 50%.

Johnny Bowland is able to color every arrow he shoots in a turn by using 10% of his turn’s Shuuhaku.

If you don’t understand what the difference is, then review how Shuuhaku works.

Becoming a Quincy
Once the faction is open, new applicants and old members are both welcome. Applicants will go through the application process, as always, while old members simply need to transfer a character over. Send me a PM with your character's profile (no sample chapter needed) and I'll approve ye. Then it's nice to let your old faction head know you're leaving. Yay.

When you create a Quincy character, know that your entire life has been shaped by murder. You're on the run, you're scared, you're laying low. You don't want to die, you're looking for help. People go to Eve for protection, but they find her because they find Sebastian, who still carries everyone's ancestral name of Erdeschalk.

Know that your character survived the Schwarze Nacht because of the following reasons, and know what they imply: the Erdeschalk family isn't involved in Quincy politics; you are a branch family member, and; you are untrained. Eldest sons are all dead without exception. The reasons above list why you aren't being hunted down, but you also need a fortuitous reason for why you weren't killed with the rest of your family during the black night.

NOTE - the first people who join up have the option of staying with Sebastian and the family in the time between the Black Night and present RP-time, meaning that they can be fully-trained Quincies from the get-go. Talk to me about this if you're interested.

You know what, talk to me if you're interested in joining team Q at all.

Making a Quincy Character
Here are some base rules that you should've picked up from what's written above.
-You are a member of the branch families
-Your father did not get formally trained in the Quincy arts
-You have to share a common ancestor with Sebastian
-You need to have a good reason for not being killed
The most common question I get is 'do I have to be German?' Not anymore/not really. With the Qs in Japan they're taking anyone and everyone. Becoming an Erdeschalk Quincy, however, requires that you be related to Sebastian.

Figuring out back stories is much harder. The easy way out is to be a girl or boy who's young. Women and children under 15 were spared by the Gotei as a general rule. One could claim to be an exception but do not forget we're working with an order to commit genocide. Shinigami fully realized that the Quincy families are going to hate them for eternity. There's no way they'd be like 'oh look a boy genius trained in the Quincy arts with substantial power. but he looks like my son so I'll let him live'. No.

Survivors are given a memory-altering device and so they go about their lives peacefully. Stress brings out their powers, suddenly shinigami are hunting you down and you go looking for family. Boom. Welcome to Team Q.

Another good way to do it is to be estranged from the Erdeschalk family, for whatever reason. Family problems, divorce, it's all good. If it goes back a few years you'd be completely separated from the main parts of the family, would have never received the call to fight and thus would be invisible to the Gotei. Thus, still alive. Yay. Why you'd then go look for your family will require some explainin' though.

As more profiles for the Quincy go up you'll see how various things work and why other things wouldn't work. As a general rule, running your back story by the faction head for Quincies is the best way to make sure it's okay.

Quincy Q&A

Q: Are Quincies open?
A: Yes.

Q: Do I have to use a bow?
A: Come up with a compelling argument for why you shouldn’t follow manga and anime canon. Send it to me. I’ll read it. I guarantee I will not care. To quote Ishida: “The only weapons that are used by Quincies are bows and arrows.”

Q: How does Shuuhaku work?
A: This is the most important part of Quincy mechanics so you need to go to this thread and really understand what is going on. Seriously.

Q: I read it a bunch of times and I still don’t get it.
A: Then don’t be a Quincy. Done.

Q: So, I finally understand Shuuhaku but...Quincies get to do everything for free?
A: Quincies can do things for free, but only so much. Like an allowance. Two Quincies fighting each other could theoretically do the whole thing for free if no one got super serious, but against any other spiritually aware being they'll have a tough time not using Reiatsu. Choosing when and how to overload is a critical skill for a Quincy, because they can severely damage themselves by trying to match attacks with their opponent.

Q: So I have to be a relative of Sebastian’s?
A: Not anymore. Know that you can only learn the Erdeschalk techs if your character is an Erdeschalk (related to Sebastian) but the other sects will not require bloodline relation.

Q: But I want to start my own family…
A: A spot for a new family will open up if enough Quincy join and if plot unfolds that way. The mechanics, history and plot of Quincies are going to be worked out for a while so rapid expansion won’t be happening any time soon. Especially since, just like before, Quincies have plots that are inextricably tied to each other’s.

Q: I want a Seele Schneider. Work your magic.
A: Seele Schneider would be considered a unique item, whose leech powers are based on your Shuuhaku and cutting powers based on your Chakudan. Probably. Your skill with it will be minimal because unlike Shinigami you haven’t trained with it for hundreds of years. That super pentagram attack would be a feat…and would probably be nerfed.

Q: Quincy crosses give ‘one offensive attribute’ – what’s that mean?
A: Quincies can be bland. All they do is blow stuff up. Whoopie. Quincy Crosses give you one chance other than Feats to have a unique take on ‘shoot and blowing up stuff’. The word ‘attribute’ is used for a reason – it’s not an ability or power. It’s something that has to deal with your bow and the arrows it fires, no conceptual stuff or mindscrew powers. Quincy Crosses are approved by release staff, just like your energy weapons.

Q: How do I get a Quincy Cross?
A: Since Sebastian has the Erdeschalk’s Quincy Cross, you’ll have to find another one, steal one, or make your own. Keep in mind these artifacts are legendary items passed down from successor to successor, because how you obtain your Quincy Cross will determine a lot of IG consequences. Like how NPCs and PCs feel about you.

Q: I want a garl Quincy.
A: Garl Quincies are allowed (and RP canon pretty much encourages it) but you must remember what comes with it: extreme prejudice from any other family member who doesn't have chesticles. Quincy arts have been passed down exclusively from father to oldest son for literally 1700 years – women were never involved. This is a culturally entrenched thing. Even geniuses were neglected, in all reality. If you’re ready to deal with prejudice and misinformation about your gender and blatant sexism, then go ahead. Don’t whine when you’re treated differently in a bad way.

Q: Like yours? You have garl Quincy.
A: Yeh but it’s always been a fantasy of mine.

Q: So I have to write about learning all the techs and stuff?
A: Yeah. I will mark you off if you suddenly learned how to use Ransou Tengai. UNLESS you are one of the first people who join up. Those who join up in the first wave can have stayed with the family for a while and be trained in the year since the Black Night, so from the get-go they will be considered legitimate 'Quincy'. As I noted before, talk to me if you're interested in that.

Q: Ugh. Mandatory writing. And even with Burnout / Autonomy! And after that there's an arc with a Quincy Cross?!
A: Yeah sorry, making you write in a writing-based RP is pretty much a felony in every state but where I live. To be honest, though, those are events you would've made a big deal out of anyway. It's like a Quincy's Ban Kai arc. The autonomy process inherently requires others, so your Autonomy will actually be a collab with the faction head or someone they appoint. The Quincy Cross thing is more of an opportunity to do cool stuff more than anything else.

Q: So how does a new Quincy character get started?
A: For many of you, your first pieces of writing will be a lot like this thread that Hao and I did. Hao got fast-tracked because he joined early, but it's the same line everyone will follow. You find the family somehow, you are taught the basics, and then you take time to learn techniques. Yay.

Claims:
Faceless_Fool is my conquest!
Angry Polka Boy is my subserviant sex machine!
[/spoiler]
[spoiler=さよならHALCYON DAYS]
悠月 聖人 :: 十一番隊の仮隊長

Yuzuki Masato :: Jyuuichibantai no Kataichou
Distant Moon, Sacred Person :: Acting Captain of the 11th Division[/spoiler]
GilgameshTime: I have no proof that he is actually a person and not a very advanced spambot
AngryPolkaBoy: well, the same can be said about Kish
I'm damaged bad at best
Old 08-10-2010, 05:03 PM

added a few things to QnA

Claims:
[/spoiler]

GilgameshTime: I have no proof that he is actually a person and not a very advanced spambot
I'm damaged bad at best
Old 08-15-2010, 04:32 PM

added a few things, changed QnA a li'l

Claims:
[/spoiler]

I'm damaged bad at best
Old 09-05-2010, 10:15 PM

Updated things about being related to Sebastian

Claims:
[/spoiler]

I'm damaged bad at best