BleachForums  

Go Back   BleachForums > Advent Humans > The Reception

Old 07-04-2008, 01:25 AM

Send a message via AIM to DarkToaster
Default Headlines From Our World

Taipei Riots Cause Controversy

Numbers are still coming in on the riots in Taiwan, but authorities estimate the death count to be nearly a thousand. In the wake of the massive civil unrest, people are asking for answers.

“It was as if the entire city went crazy,” said one man who asked not to be identified fearing continued arrests, “I think we’re doing it a disservice calling it a ‘riot’. When we think of rioting, we think of a demonstration going bad and the authorities stepping in. There weren’t two sides, and there wasn’t anything keeping anyone together. It was just…chaos.”

People have their theories. “Meng,” an activist for the Anti-mainland group Luminous Path released a statement on behalf of the group roundly condemning the Chinese government for sponsoring the riot in order to undermine Taiwanese control and to humiliate them on the global stage. The Chinese denied all involvement.

The investigation is still ongoing but authorities have expressed no optimism in finding an easy answer. “Sometimes, things just reach a boiling point,” Police Chief Zhao told reporters, “that it coincided with the disasters in Paris and California is simply a sad coincidence.”

[SPOILER="1st Division"]
[/SPOILER]
Old 07-04-2008, 01:26 AM

Environmental Disaster in California Spurs Legislation

In what many hope to be a silver lining after the freak accident in Los Angeles claiming hundreds of lives, voters unanimously approved Proposition 47, a bill designed to tighten chemical storage safety procedures in industrial storage sites.

The bill was sparked after a cloud of heavily toxic gas descended on rush-hour motorists. While investigators originally suspected a terrorist attack, it was later found that the improper storage of chemicals led to a leak that caused the tragedy.

“I just hope this keeps something like this from happening again,” said Maria Cortez, whose husband suffered permanent brain damage. “We still have a lot to do, and the families of the victims have yet to get a single cent from the companies responsible.”

Randy Jump, CEO of United Chemicals, had this to say:

“We could never have predicted an environmental disaster of this magnitude, just as we can never truly apologize to the families of those affected. I do not know if we can ever regain the public trust, but Proposition 47 may be a good first step.”

[SPOILER="1st Division"]
[/SPOILER]
Old 07-04-2008, 01:27 AM

New Illness in Paris?

Scientists believe they now know the cause behind the rash of inexplicable deaths in Paris: a new disease whose symptoms include the release of several fear chemicals into the brain.

The disease, termed Renard’s Disease after its first victim, is said to be a distant cousin of rabies, which interestingly enough may have gone extinct mere minutes after it appeared.

Richard Reddington, on loan from the Center for Disease Control in Atlanta, explained to reporters about their findings:

“We believe Renard’s Disease to be a mutation of rabies, which turned out to be so virulent, it killed everyone it infected. Those who did not die immediately to the disease itself fell prey to its side effects. In essence, Renard’s disease is so effective, that it robbed itself of all potential food. We can only thank God that its incubation period turned out to be so short or we would have had a disaster comparable to that of the Black Death.”

Parisians are not willing to breathe sighs of relief just yet, “How do we know that this can’t happen again?” Amilie Sassoon, a woman who moved out of Paris after the outbreak asked in response to the findings, “I think this is just the beginning.”

[SPOILER="1st Division"]
[/SPOILER]
Old 07-04-2008, 01:28 AM

Tokyo Earthquake Miracle

Some could only describe it as a sign from beyond: “When the building shook and the lights went out,” Mariko Fujikawa, a secretary at the Shinsei bank tower recalls in tears, “I swear I heard the voice of my dead father, telling me it wasn’t my time yet. He had to have been protecting me.”

For others, the miracle was far more down to earth: “Well, we had help from all sorts of people. Folks from the embassies nearby all poured out of their buildings to lend their support,” Firefighter Yuuji Horikawa said, “I’ve been on the squad for 20 years and I’ve never seen anything like it.”

Neither has human history. After an earthquake coupled with a structural oversight shook the foundations of the Shinsei bank tower in downtown Tokyo, many people feared the worst. However thanks to an unprecedented response, every single person trapped in the building escaped with only minor injuries.

“This could have been a disaster,” Michael Cambridge, a clerk working at the Australian embassy who ran from his office to aid in the evacuation effort said, “Instead, we got to see just how good the human spirit can be.”

“With all the disasters in the past year, it was a welcome message of hope.”

[SPOILER="1st Division"]
[/SPOILER]
Old 10-24-2008, 04:47 PM

Point-Counterpoint: Should Cerberus Corporation Be Allowed In Japan?

Point: We’ve read the headlines recently regarding the purchase of waterfront property by the notorious Cerberus Corporation, but we should question whether they should even be allowed to operate in a country that constitutionally cannot have an army.

Fact: Cerberus Corporation makes the majority of its profits through independent contracting. This is just a politically correct term for what they really are: mercenaries.

What kind of message are we sending the global community by allowing them in our borders? The situation in Asia politically is already precarious as it is. Do we really want to risk increasing tensions by fostering lawless mercenaries who operate in the darker corners of international conflicts? We’ve all heard the rumors of what their soldiers have done in Iraq, I hope.

Counterpoint: Try and paint with a broader brush there next time, buddy.

All I’ve seen here are a collection of half-truths and fallacies. If our friend here had done any research at all, he’d know that Cerberus Corporation bought warehouses on the waterfront. They aren’t constructing some secret military compound in the bay or anything. Take the tinfoil hat off.

The warehouses themselves are for the ever-growing Cerberus Biotech Division. Did you take a look at their latest quarterly report? If you did, you’d know that their burgeoning biotech division increased their profits by 50%. I suspect we’ll see even greater gains in future years. Shouldn’t we encourage their drift from the independent contracting business by allowing them to open a few warehouses here?

In these times of economic hardship, do we really want to resist the creation of jobs just to make a point to Cerberus Corporation? Isn’t that a little hypocritical anyway? We have a “self-defense force.” That’s an order of magnitude fishier than anything Cerberus has ever done.

Point: I’ll take off my tinfoil hat if you’ll take off your rose-colored glasses.

Cerberus employees kill people. That is not hyperbole. Should I even begin on how suspect it is that a company whose bottom line can be measured in blood is suddenly going into the business of saving lives? Would you buy medicine from them?

And yes, I read my facts. The biotech division is still a splinter in the tree of the company. A 50% increase of nothing is still nothing.

Tell me, do you really believe their diversification, however disconnected and bizarre it is (and lets face it, jumping from shooting insurgents to PMS medicine is pretty bizarre), is going to negate their role as mercenaries? If anything, it could further fund their war machine.

They are better armed than most third world countries. We should not be comfortable with their presence here. If Japan were to draw the line in the sand here and now, the rest of the international community might follow.

Counterpoint: Do you think their company policy is really that disconnected? Biotech can save lives. Cerberus contractors have saved more civilian lives than you and I could count. Saving lives is saving lives.

Cerberus soldiers have the best track record worldwide for sparing non-combatants. Yes, that includes the U.S. military as well. However they train those boys, it works. They are efficient, they get the job done, and they make sure no one gets caught in the crossfire.

You cannot deny the statistics. To date, there have been no confirmed reports of any wrongdoing on their part and your attempts to spread rumors otherwise only weaken your own position.

You can tell me about rose-colored glasses, but the fact of the matter is if there were no war, Cerberus Corporation would not exist. You can blame them for trying to reduce war by ending global conflict quickly and efficiently, but they are doing more than our wonderful Self Defense Force is.

Point: So Cerberus Corporation helps to reduce global conflict by participating in global conflict? Wow, that isn’t some backwards logic.

Counterpoint: I wouldn’t talk about logic when you drop a straw man fallacy in the previous sentence.

Point: Okay all personal gripes aside, it is a mistake to allow Cerberus Corporation in our borders. Whatever benefits they may offer are outweighed by the moral cost.

Counterpoint: Cerberus Corporation brings jobs, economic growth at a time when we couldn’t need it more.

[SPOILER="1st Division"]
[/SPOILER]
Old 11-27-2008, 08:14 AM

One Month Later: The Terrorist Attacks on Tokyo

For some, time stopped that fateful day in Tokyo. Some mourn for the lives of the thousands that were lost, others cry out for justice. Some are still asking the question, “What happened?”

That answer, is slow in coming. The attack, which caused heavy damage to parts of the west portion of the metro Tokyo area, was believed to have been a combination of explosives and a sort of nerve gas.

Many terrorist organizations have leapt at the opportunity to claim responsibility for the attack. Authorities say they believe a group of extremist Chinese radicals known as the Sons of Nanking (a group the Chinese government vehemently denies exists) were the masterminds behind the strike.

The police received a statement from someone believed to speak for the group several days after the attack:

“We, the Sons of Nanking, took your sons. You lost only a few thousand. How many did we lose?

Your sons felt the terror we felt when they inhaled the gas. They should still feel the terror. Your men and women recoiled in horror at the explosions.

Your government took our babies and impaled them on knives. Your government raped our women. Your government burned down our houses and destroyed our nation! Terrorism? This is fair play!

Do you think the modest reparations paid by your corporations in the wake of World War II were enough? Can money buy our grandfathers and grandmothers? Did that really ease your conscience?

Evidently it did, as your government continues to pretend it never did. They want your people to forget. We will never forget.

And as long as the Sons of Nanking exist, neither will you. We assure you.”

Police believe that the bombers destroyed themselves in the onslaught, but the nation still cries out for revenge. The push for a new, more conservative, prime minister is gaining momentum in the government.

And what of the victims? The human toll was great, but the psychological toll has been heavy. A large proportion of the survivors claim to still see the ghosts of the departed. Many in the area are reporting that they are seeing and hearing voices as well.

Psychologists claim these symptoms are a side-effect of the gas bombs as well as Post-Traumatic Stress Disorder and say that the effects could last for years, if not decades.

Yet not all have given up hope. Saori Hasegawa, a woman in her 80’s who has lived in Tokyo her entire life has dedicated herself to making 1,000 cranes for each of the dead. Her touching display moved many others to devote their time and effort to the honoring of the dead. Since then, the group has received international recognition and is known as the Crane Foundation, in honor of Ms. Hasegawa.

Even the corporations were not unmoved. The Cerberus Corporation, a new player in the Tokyo game, announced it would dedicate 1 billion dollars to the reconstruction effort. After the announcement, several other prominent businesses followed suit.

We interviewed Mrs. Hasegawa to ask for her words on the horrific attack. She told us this: “Even now, I believe that human beings are good at heart.”

In these dark times, we certainly hope so.

Who Was the Tokyo Angel?

“He saved over a hundred thousand lives. And I don’t even know his name,” Mayor Haga said when asked about the man who phoned in an anonymous tip regarding the recent Tokyo bombing.

A tearful woman clutches her baby, “I don’t know who you are, but thank you! Had I been in my house…” she isn’t able to finish the sentence.

People are calling him the Tokyo Angel, but who is he? Some say he was a simple sanitation worker who discovered the bombs, while others say he was an emissary of the supernatural.

“I think he was one of the terrorists who had a last minute change of heart,” said Atsushi Honda, a Tokyo ramen cart owner, “and his fellow terrorists killed him for it.”

“He’s an alien!” a sign-toting man on the street announces, “The Reptilians and the Greys are at war for our planet! He was one of the Greys, trying to save us!”

Authorities have stated that they have no theories as to the identity of the anonymous tipster, and they have no plans to investigate further. They said this in an official statement:

“Whoever the Tokyo Angel was, he obviously wishes to remain anonymous at this time. While we’d love to recognize him for his heroism, we think the smiles and lives of the tens of thousands he has saved are his greatest reward. We can only say thank you for what you’ve done.”

We here at the Tokyo Shinbun also want to say thank you.

[SPOILER="1st Division"]
[/SPOILER]
Old 02-22-2009, 06:52 PM

Send a message via AIM to Fuzakeru Send a message via MSN to Fuzakeru

Absentee Alert!
Teenage Drop Outs to Rise if Problem isn’t Fixed?

It seems the Tokyo school district is having a difficult time regrouping the youth of our nation back in to the classroom. With the recent disasters plaguing the world today the important things, like education, seems to be the last thing on the younger populations’ mind. Reports of Post Traumatic Stress Disorder and Depression on the rise, it’s easy to sympathize with the adolescent lack of interest but it does not excuse it says the committee of higher education. In collaboration with Tokyo’s police force, the education system is working on getting absentee students off the streets.

Higashiyama Yuriko, Principal of Tokyo Nishi Koutougakkou, was unable to give us a statement but Vice Principal Timka Kaneda was happy to share his thoughts with us. “This is a serious situation we’re dealing with but we’ll get those rascals back where they belong soon enough! They’re lucky it’s not me out there looking for them!” he laughed but his devotion on the matter is clear. “Right now a system of normalcy is the most important. We should all try to carry on as normal as we can,” a more serious Kaneda was later quoted.

There’s a debate over the dispatching of police to herd delinquents back to where they belong but the Department of Public Safety is assuring that they are not turning a blind eye to other crisis in favor of this current worry. In the meantime, students are urged to assume responsibility and attend their classes at the risk of corrective punishment if the problem continues.

OOC: What does this mean for school students? Well, if its school time and you're skipping you might want to keep a low profile and you should incorporate this report in to your writing somehow!

-= "You're too unique for my tastes!" =-
Old 09-22-2010, 02:35 AM
Halcyon Days GM

Send a message via AIM to Kehengto Send a message via MSN to Kehengto

Yakuza Defeated; Revenge Taken Out on City.

While most of the city was in the middle of their usual business day, a rouge group of unknown vigilantes stormed the Sougi tower. Within hours known high-ranking members of the Yakuza were seen running in fear from a stronghold even our very brave police decided was suicide to attempt to take down.

To most this would seem like a promise of a new day and a rather desired turn of events in our modern day disaster plagued world, but I ask you readers this. Was it?

Not more than three days later, countless numbers of our citizens were struck down. Buildings were laid to waste and multitudes have later felt the effects of an unknown nerve gas that had been in the news a lot this past couple of months.

Now I realize that as a reporter, I am to keep neutral on all issues never to promote or discredit a side. It is my job to present the facts and let the reading public decide without tainting the facts. So here are the facts that I know, and that this audience should also know.

These vigilantes show up and tear a hole into a known Yakuza stronghold. Yakuza are notorious crime lords with untold connections. Within three days, buildings are destroyed, civilians killed, and an untraceable nerve gas was released.

But alas I relent things have improved. People are no longer disappearing after jumping off train stations. The sectors destroyed that night have begun o rebuild, and my sources who shall remain nameless as per their wish, fear that the viral strain that surfaced in Paris known as Renardís Disease believed to have died off had survived.

So was the Yakuza given a hard blow or a free pass to do what they wish now.

[SPOILER="Personalized Sig"]
*Credits go to Stephy*[/spoiler]

[spoiler="Old Sigs"]
*Credits to whoever did this*

Advent Human: Aragon Tenabanto

Claimed by Crowliee

[SPOILER="Favorite Quotes"]
Tell a man there are 300 billion stars in the universe and he'll believe you. Tell him a bench has wet paint on it and he'll have to touch to be sure.

If there is a possibility of several things going wrong the one that will cause the most damage will be the one to go wrong.

[/SPOILER]
Old 12-19-2010, 05:29 AM
Halcyon Days GM

Send a message via AIM to Kehengto Send a message via MSN to Kehengto

A Tragic Death Caught on Camera

If you were watching then you were one of the millions that witnessed the horrific scene that took place last Friday. During his speech, in which the President of Sweden was declaring that the World Organization for Global Health, Wellness, and Justice (WHO) practices were unethical and would not be permitted within his nation's boarders was shot and killed. Details of incident and eye witness accounts have been taken, but still the shooter remains at large. There are many that speculate that the assassin was hired by WHO, however officials both from the President's advisors and from WHO have issued statements about the incident.

"It is unfortunate that the President was killed, but to point the blame at WHO would be an immature course of action. While our late leader was disapproving of them, they have offered nothing but condolences to the victim's family. We will find the culprit responsible for this and justice will be served with swift action." -International Affairs Advisor.

"It is disheartening that this has happened. We respect Sweden's position, and would never think to infringe on the sovereign rights of any nation. We offer our services and resources to help in any way in this investigation. We also offer our deepest condolences for the loss of a great man that Sweden has suffered." -Media Liaison for WHO.

It is this papers practice to respect the requests of our sources and not print the names of our contacts for the sake of their safety.

[SPOILER="Personalized Sig"]

[spoiler="Old Sigs"]
*Credits to whoever did this*

Advent Human: Aragon Tenabanto

Claimed by Crowliee

[SPOILER="Favorite Quotes"]
Tell a man there are 300 billion stars in the universe and he'll believe you. Tell him a bench has wet paint on it and he'll have to touch to be sure.

If there is a possibility of several things going wrong the one that will cause the most damage will be the one to go wrong.

[/SPOILER]
Old 05-06-2011, 03:48 AM

Send a message via AIM to Several Zombies Send a message via MSN to Several Zombies

Ginza Demon Strikes Again!
Mysterious killer caught on camera!

A recent string of brutal killings in Tokyo's busy metropolitan core of Shinjuku has left police and forensic investigators scratching their heads in confusion and disbelief. The bizarre slayings began in the Ginza district and quickly drew media attention due to the gruesome nature of the deaths -- no less than fourteen individuals found mutilated -- organs and bones smashed into nothing, as if the victims were crushed to death. A majority of those found were in such a state they had to be identified using dental records. With recent victims being discovered as far north as Kasukabe, police are on high alert -- looking for any leads on this twisted case.

"We're at a loss." said Constable Arata Hanari of the Tokyo Metropolitan Police Department. "He's got no pattern, and as far as we can tell the victims are unrelated. We're sure he's selecting specific people -- but his criteria is a mystery."

Until the Ginza Demon is caught and brought to justice, police are advising citizens to stay in groups and avoid deserted areas.

With the three most recent killings in Tokyo's heavily populated downtown core and the police out of leads, people want to know -- who is the Ginza Demon!?"

A photo of the "Ginza Demon" sent in by a reader

credits to Nano